Historical Notes on Club Competition Trophies
Many of the club trophies have
been redesignated over the years for various reasons. The lists
of names above give the winners of the particular class of competition
rather than the names shown on each trophy.
In particular, the “A”, “B” and “C” Class trophies have a common
linkage in that they were all purchased by the club in 1913 and stored
in the vaults of Barclays Bank, Altrincham, from 1939 until 1976, when
it was discovered that the A Class trophy was missing, and with it the
only record of prior winners. In consequence, the old B and C
Class trophies were promoted, and the winner of the A Class event now
holds what was originally the B Class trophy, while B Class winners
hold the original C Class trophy.
The trophies still carry the names of their original holders so that
each carries part of the engraved record of two competitions. For
the sake of historical record, the winners of the Class are listed on
various winners pages. Inspection of the trophies will show the curious
which point the transfer was made.
A Class Club Championship Open
C Class - The Allen Bowl was presented to the
club as a replacement C Class trophy in 1979 by Mr. Christopher Hudson
(then President, and member 1973 to date), and drew on his wife’s
maiden name for its title. From all the above it can be deduced
that the names
of the C Class winners prior to 1979 will be found on the trophy now
by winners of the B Class.
The E Class cup was presented to the club in
1991 to allow players of all abilities to enjoy competitive croquet.
The Silver Box, a silver cigarette box, was
given for handicap play by Miss N. Ford-Smith in 1930, a member from
1913 to 1967 (the longest serving member). She was elected a
member of the club committee from 1915 to 1949, during which time she
was the secretary of the club from 1919 to 1946.
The Gladys Johnson Cup , for handicap
doubles, was presented to the club in 1966 by the family of Miss Gladys
Johnson as a memorial after her death, together with a legacy of
£40. Miss Johnson had been a member of the club from 1914
until her death in 1966. It was originally competed for as a
doubles prize during an American Tournament and it became the club
handicap doubles trophy in 1971.
The Short Croquet Tankard was presented by the club to officially
recognise the development of the small lawn game.
The Fotiadi Novices Silver Challenge Bowl was
given by Mrs. Alexandra Fotiadi, who was a member from 1939 until her
death in 1990. President of the club from 1972 to 1981, she was
for many years one of the best women players in the country. Her
generosity to the club over the years in donating cash sums for various
projects, provided the springboard for its re-generation in the late
1970s. The term “Novices” has changed over the years, ranging as
high as handicap 10, but since the 1990’s covering only newcomers in
their first season.
The Wild Trophies were given for club
competitions in 1989 by Mr. Colin Wild, who has been a member since
1983. They were among many won by Mr. Wild in his days as a
competitive car rally and racing driver “before the war”.
The Faulkener Cup was purchased for the
winner of the Championship of the North of England from a gift by Mrs.
Faulkener in memory of her late husband Ronald (member 1963-78). At his
best he had been selected to play in the Surrey Cup (now the
Spencer-Ell trophy) and was the last winner of the old Northern
Championship in 1956 before its revival at Bowdon in 1971.
The Tollemache Plate was purchased in 1982
for the 'winner' of the plate (3rd place) in the Northern
Championships. Its name commemorates our link with Lord Tollemache who
had been a member from 1920-40. A famous croquet player in his day, he
to croquet at his home in Peckforton Castle and wrote a substantial
treatise on the style and tactics of the game.
The Pidcock Mallets were made by Prof. Alan Pidcock (member since
1990), maker of the popular Manor House mallets, and presented for
Handicap Doubles in the Northern Championship week.
The Millenium Candlesticks were given in 2000/01 by the Honorary
Club Secretary Mr. Martin Granger Brown (member 1969-73 and and since
1981) as a trophy for the Northern Open Doubles, the only Club
had ever won!
The Peterson Cup was given by Mrs. Heather
Peterson (1984-97) as a challenge trophy for the June Advanced weekend.
The Reed Cup was given in 1922 by Mr. and
Mrs. H A Reed (members 1914-29) for the Open A Class singles in the
Club's main tournament. Between 1981-90 this splendid trophy
marked the handicap singles at the Northern week and from 1992 the May
The Lines Trophies were given in 2002 by
Mrs. Ailsa Lines for the new Club 14-point competitions inaugurated in
that year. A member since 1993 and a past winner of the CA Ladies'
and Barlow Bowls, Mrs. Lines became the highest ranked UK player in